One of a pair of 6-inch shield guns installed in Battery 234, which is just a few yards west of Battery Cooper. These emplacements were designed with curved shields of cast-steel four to six inches thick. The shields provided protection against machine gun and light artillery fire. Although the batteries received their shields and barbette carriages in 1946, the 6-inch guns were never received. The guns, shields, and barbette carriages present today were placed there in 1976 through the cooperation of the Smithsonian Institution and are identical to the type of guns that would have been emplaced by the Army.
Be the first to ask a question about this.