Custom Fine Art Print on Premium Media - The first Endicott battery one encounters when entering the Fort Pickens branch of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, on the western end of Santa Rosa Island, near Pensacola, FL, is Battery Langdon. This emplacement was named in honor of Brig. Gen. Loomis L. Langdon, who served at Fort Pickens in 1861 and returned as commander in 1885. When completed in 1923 the battery boasted two 12-inch guns. During 1942 -43, massive concrete casemates with walls 10 feet thick and overhead masonry 17 feet thick were added to protect the guns and crew.
Be the first to ask a question about this.